Saturday, September 10, 2011


It’s been a long time since I’ve updated my blog.

I’m just looking through my diary trying to remember everything I’ve done so I can write about it, but I’ve done a lot!  I'll hit the highlights :)

One of the days a few weeks ago some of the girls wanted to take us out to get fried chicken, so we got permission from the nuns and took a call van into Oksan, which is the town closest to our school.  The fried chicken was absolutely delicious!  And It was really cool to hang out with the girls.  When we were coming back, there wasn’t a call van available, so we could either wait or walk.  I was like “lets just walk and work off the fried chicken”  So we walked back, and it took about 30 minutes, and we were walking through the most bizarre country areas on the way home.  It was a lot of fun though! 

One of the days, I went to Daejeon to meet Gooseul (my teacher from Seoul)  to finalize my application for a visa.  I took the train back, and the nuns and Alyssa picked me up from the train station.  I thought we were going back to school, but we went really far off the beaten path, and we finally ended up at this tiny run-down looking house.  Turns out, it was the bird hatchery.  So we came back with 7 baby peacocks in the trunk ^^  Then they waited in the trunk while we went with the nuns to eat Green Tea Patbingsu  ^^

Our S’more adventure!  One day the week before last, when Alyssa was in art class, the teacher was like, “let’s not do art today, lets eat potatoes.”  So they built a campfire and roasted potatoes.  When I heard about this, my immediate thought was “campfire?  We can make s’mores!”  This was Alyssa’s first thought too.  So we spent our Korean studying hour trying to plan out how we could get to a store and procure ingredients for S’mores.  Then our nun (who teaches us Korean)  left, and came back and was like “we can take you to the Costco in Daejeon—we have a membership card”.  So that night (it was Friday so we didn’t eat dinner at school)  We went with the nuns to Daejeon.  Which ended up being an hour and a half drive.  I felt really bad that they drove us that far, but they shopped too so it made me feel better.  The next week, on Tuesday, after school the art teacher helped us set up a fire, and we taught everyone how to make smores.  Everyone really enjoyed it and thought they were delicious.  I was really happy to be able to give something to the students.

Last weekend, on Saturday, I went to Seoul to hang out with friends and Soontaek.  I met up with my penpal Youkang and her friends and went to their school festival, which was really fun.  Then I met up with Soontaek and went to Itaewon and then Namsan Tower.  I had a good time.  Then I took the train  back.  Sunday morning, I woke up and thought it would be a slow paced, nice relaxing day, and then Sister Camilla called and was like “We’re going to the mountain!”  At which point I still thought it might be a nice relaxing day.  We drove up the mountain for an hour and a half, then stopped and ate, then starting walking up the rest of the mountain.  After about 20 minutes, we finally reached this statue and took pictures, and I thought we would be done, but we kept hiking.  For four hours.  Up a mountain.  At the end of it, we were at this drama set, and we got to see the drama being filmed, which was cool.  Then we went and ate a huge delicious dinner, so all the hiking was for nothing ><

This weekend is Chuseok.  So it will be interesting, and I'll write about it later!

1 comment: