Tuesday, August 16, 2011

New Home

First things first:  I do not have internet at my new apartment.  My apartment has internet, but it isn’t wireless, so I can only  get it if I go sit in my host brother’s room and use a cord.  So yeah.  No internet on a frequent basis.

Anyways, my expectations for this host family were totally wrong.  Yes, we are “in the country” of Korea, meaning that we are in a small city.  As in, sort of like Carmel except more city-like.  My apartment is about 40 times more modern than my apartment in Incheon, and my family is WAY more Western.  This is a very difficult adjustment.  This morning, my host mom fed me toast and eggs.  Honestly, I miss my rice and kimchi T.T (AND KIM!!! I MISS MY KIM(seaweed) and my red-bean milk.  I miss that too.  I wish it was easy for me to get to a grocery store and buy some, but I would have to have a car ><)

My host sister seems nice, and my host mother also.  It is really difficult not to compare them to my host mom and host sister in Incheon, because they were SO wonderful.   Anyways, nobody here speaks English, so it’s a little difficult.  In Incheon, if I really needed to get something across, Da Young could help me.  I guess I’m thankful for this, as it means that my Korean will have to improve more.

My host brother is a student of Catholic University of Korea (same as Soontaek!), but he won’t go back to school until August 27th.  So until then, he is living at home.  Don’t be confused though, just because he is at home doesn’t mean I will actually see him.  Since I’ve been here, he has spent all his time in his room playing StarCraft and has only emerged 3 times to eat xD  What a stereotypical Korean boy!

My host sister is currently at home because she is still on summer vacation (until we start school on August 22nd) but during the school year she lives at school (it is a boarding school).  So once school starts, she will only be home on the weekends.  So during the weekdays, I will be the only child here.

There are no foreign people here.  Yesterday was my host brother’s birthday, so we went to the Tous Les Jours to buy a cake.  Tous Les Jours is a bread store (Korean bakeries are way different from American bakeries, and they are like ten million times more awesome).  Anyways, we bought the cake, and the lady who was working there comes up and hands me this loaf of delicious cream filled bread as we’re walking out saying “예뻐서” or basically, “because you’re pretty”  I guess this is the benefit of being the only foreigner!

This is only the first full day that I am with this family, so I am still sort of uncomfortable.  I’ll give it time though, and hopefully soon it will be better.

2 comments:

  1. maybe they're trying to eat more westernly because you're there? you should ask for rice and kimchi! why does your sister live at school when they are in the same town? will your host parents have to drive you to school? also when your brother leaves it might be easier to use the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you offered to play StarCraft at all? Will you see your sister while you're at school, but not while you're at home? Odd.

    ReplyDelete