Sunday, July 10, 2011

Happy Birthday, Kim Heechul!

So, today is Kim Heechul's 28th birthday.  And to celebrate the day, I went to "Everysing" in Myeongdong and bought a bunch of Super Junior stuff.  Don't worry, that isn't all this blog post is going to be about xD

Myeongdong is one of the biggest tourist spots in Seoul. (I may have mentioned it before, my youth hostel for the first few days was really close to Myeongdong) It's basically street after street after street (pretty much a maze)  of street shopping, as well as having malls and stuff like that.  You can get a lot for very cheap.  Today I spent 30,000 won, and bought quite a bit. 

The English shirts here are absolutely hilarious.  I have seen a few though that definitely wouldn't fly in America.  The most offensive so far has been a shirt with Bugs Bunny on it, except Bugs Bunny is dressed in camoflauge and adorned with guns and grenades.  It read "Let's do this Easter Egg hunt  BAGHDAD STYLE"  Emma's face:  0.o

So today after church  Da Young and I took the train into Myeongdong and shopped for a really long time.  We ate Nangmyeon for lunch, which is basically those chewy transparent noodles (Note: this is the only type of noodle that exists in Korea.  Well, pretty much.  We bought some American-type spaghetti at the grocery and my host mom wants me to make it for them because they've never had it before)  Anyways, nangmyeon is those noodles in this ice-cold slushie bath, with a big goop of that red pepper paste on top.  I was very adverse to the idea of noodles in ice water, but it was actually pretty good.  If you leave out the part where I couldn't feel my mouth for like 20 minutes afterwards.  Seriously, after eating this, Kimchi isn't spicy at all.

At Myeongdong, Da Young wanted to go to a few bigger stores, like H&M and Forever 21.  The difference between these stores and America:  THE PRICE.  The stuff that wasn't on sale at these stores was running for about $20-$50, which I guess is normalish.  But the stuff that was on sale was like $3-$6.

They have lots of Smoothie Kings here. 

Oh, another note about shopping in Korea.  Unless you are in a bigger store (like the brand name American stores), so basically any street store, all the shirts, dresses, and skirts are one-size-fits-all.  This hasn't really been a problem for me, since all I've wanted to buy so far have been shirts and dresses, but buying pants and skirts might be more of a problem.  Another thing is that the style in Korea includes shirts being REALLY baggy, so they would fit like anyone xD

I'm gonna try and upload pictures now!

4 comments:

  1. Here is my blog post for the day: Went with Mom to Wal-Mart. Got some of those Great Value brand fruit snacks. Didn't get any Pop-Tarts because they were too expensive. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--Ellen forgot to note that the Walmart is still a gigantic mess with remodeling, but the grocery part is ready (haha--hoosierville). Dad did go buy a new Camry, so that was a little out of the ordinary (silver and very sleek). Love to read about all you are doing. Glad you have a host sister to do things with!!!Keep up the shopping. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, all the good birthdays are july...grandma, me, kim heechul!!! Mom and Ellen forgot to mention dollar cones yesterday at Handel's, otherwise you are having much more fun than we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lie. They do not fit everyone. I have only one Korean shirt that fits me like it's supposed too T.T
    Also, I am super jealous. Super Junior jealous.

    ReplyDelete