Thursday, July 14, 2011

STUDYING

At the beginning of the program, I was placed in the intermediate Korean class.  There are two beginner classes, an intermediate class, and an advanced class.  The intermediate class was pretty much a joke, I wasn't learning anything new at all.  But that was alright, because I figured we'd start getting into harder stuff and the review is good for me anyways.

Yesterday, my teacher decided to switch me into advanced.  This is actually really good, because now I am learning stuff (A LOT), but now I have to study.  This isn't a problem, because I have quite a bit of time to study and studying Korean is fun, especially with my host family.

The problem is that yesterday in class, the teacher gave me (and the one other girl who switched) all the material for the past week (which is A LOT, roughly 2 pages of new vocabulary, 40 workbook pages, and 2 chapters in the book, not to mention the new grammar concepts), and we had quizzes over it today.  Yesterday I came home from school, studied until 12:15, watched Radio Star with my host mom and Da Young, resumed studying at 12:45, slept at 1:30, and woke up at 7 to keep studying until 8 when I had to leave.  ><

I ended up missing 5 out of the 16 on the first quiz, which is fine considering she is giving me and the other new girl another chance on monday, and also because I scored better than 2 of the kids who have been in the class the whole time xD  There are only 7 kids in the class.  The second quiz....I think I did alright.  Definitely pretty good for the fact that it was my second day in the class.

But anyways, I have been studying a lot.

This morning we had supporter group activites, and my group went to the Noraebang, or karaoke room.  These are SUPER popular in Korea, as in, you walk for one block and pass like 4.  It was really fun xD  And my supporter is hilarious.  They have a lot of American songs.  Like, A LOT.  I'm gonna go back soon with Mina and Akira, and maybe with my penpals.  My supporter sang all of I Believe I Can Fly xD  He also knew baby one more time.  LOL. 

My host mom saw me rubbing my back just now and  just came up behind me and started massaging my back.  She's so nice! 

What else has been going on....hmmm....Taekwondo yesterday.  That was...not really fun, but it was alright.  This weekend I am meeting one of my penpals, so I'm really excited for that.  I'm also excited that tomorrow is the first day this week that I won't have to leave at 7:30 in the morning, so I can actually rest.  Yay!

4 comments:

  1. You're getting the true Korean study experience!! Hope your high school won't be like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of how hard you're working to make the most of your experience. I know that studying is not your favorite thing!!!!Also, I think that Karaoke would be a blast--hope you get to go often and have fun with your friends. Miss you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ellen...sounds like the true Korean study experience now. Glad you are learning and doing so many different things. We are road tripping today woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your studying so hard but you wouldn't even ask that Korean woman for directions! Emma! Apply your knowledge to the real world! Fighting!! *.*

    ReplyDelete